Monday, September 22, 2008

I NEED frequent breaks to reward myself...

It's true. What I don't understand is why I need these breaks when I'm doing something that I enjoy/love. Make a little progress...take a break, make a little more progress...take a break. It's not like I'm doing anything productive during my breaks. It's like I have ADD and just can't keep focused for periods of time longer than 15 minutes. I don't get it.

I started Hey, Teach! from Knitty's Summer '08 issue. I loved it when it was released as one of the surprise projects. Usually I wait with bated breath for the surprises to be released and then get sort of disappointed when they arrive. It's not because I don't like the surprise projects per se, it's more like they just aren't spectacular, surprise-worthy projects. If they were release within the regular issue I might even really, really like them...know what I mean?

Anyways, I digress...I really liked Hey, Teach! the moment I laid eyes on it. Then Ravelry, of course, has pushed me over the edge. I checked out the 11 or so pages of FOs and decided that this project was to be CO as soon as I finished up my current projects.

Everyone raved on how this was such a fast knit so I was totally sold at this point. After I CO and knitting the first 8" of St st in no time flat, I agreed that this was a fast knit. Then I got to the lace portion.

Charts have always boggled my mind. I don't understand the concept of the "repeat the section in the red box" part of the instructions. Finally I get it know. It took me several tries, tinking back several times here and there, before I had any success with the lace pattern. This lead to numerous breaks! Though I understand why I needed these breaks.

I feel like if I had really put my mind to it I could have accomplished so much more on this project but, alas, I did not. Not to mention that having a horrible cold doesn't help productivity. Sneezing a million times, having to blow my nose even more and the constant need for nasal spray all really cut into the time allotted to knit!

Hopefully, I'll make a good dent in this project this week.

No comments: