Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Stash-- my dirty little secret

When I buy yarn and know that I shouldn't (for a plethora of reasons) I tend to hide it. Yes, I hide it: in the bottom of my bedroom closet, in boxes in my storage closet, on top shelves out of sight. Why do I do this?

Is it guilt and if so why do I feel guilty for purchasing some measly fiber? It's not like I'm buying drugs from high schoolers or taking home hookers but it feels just as dirty. I buy yarn, mostly when on sale, with vague intentions of what it will grow up to be, and then I move on to something totally different. I finish whatever project du jour I've got on the needles and then buy more yarn for multiple other phantom projects that may or may not come to be.

I'm also a big fan of buying a sweater's worth of yarn. Anything less is just not enough for me. So I possess tons of "sweaters" that I feel the need to hide in various closets and storage spots throughout my apartment.

Buying, stashing, hording makes me feel guilty because I know that it's not necessary. I know that I should buy enough fiber for a predetermined project or two and, when they are complete, I can go back and do it again. I don't have to stock my apartment with tons of yarn in order to live/knit. So I decided to face my demons and come clean!

I took all of my yarn out (in plain sight) and asked for help. Help carrying it all to the living room, help sorting it, help organizing it. I also need help photographing and cataloging my collection in order to load up my Ravelry "stash" in hopes of possibly destashing in the near future (we'll see if I can handle that emotionally....TBD).

It feel good to come clean. The truth is out. I don't have to hold onto my dirty little secret alone any more. Though it's been recommended that I do not buy another bit of fiber until I've either used or sold what I already have. But what he doesn't know won't hurt him...

6 comments:

Macoco said...

Oooh that's a lot of sweaters over there! I wish I had more sweaters-worth of yarn in my stash.

Team Knit said...

That's quite the helathy stash! I admire how much sweater-portion yarn there. I think I'm jealous of your stash!

- Julie

RandomRanter said...

Pfft. That's just a little stash. Be proud!

Stephanie N said...

Yeah.....I tend to randomly pick up yarn even when I have no need for it at the time or no idea what I am going to use it for. But I only buy 1 skein here, and 1 there. So in the end, I can only make small things with my stash. I have a healthy one, but I could never go into it to make a sweater. I want YOUR stash :P

Devonshire said...

I wish my stash was sweater worthy. Like many I only have a skein here and there. Someday it will be sweater worthy...

VeganCraftastic said...

Great stash, I wish I had more sweaters worth of yarn, I have a lot of single skeins.